Saturday, September 17, 2011

Weekend Cooking...Let's Try a New Product!

Well, it is new to me!
And see, it says NEW right on the container!

As I was doing the SIL's grocery shopping, she of the neck surgery and brace, the other day, my thoughts turned to dinner.
Something easy and fast..and something with chicken because boneless breasts were on sale and I love me a sale!

As I wandered around, in the dairy section, while getting some cream cheese for her bagels, I saw this products here on the right. Sure, I have seen the commercials, but commercials do not usually sway me.
But this time I was swayed, especially since the Philly Cooking Cream was on sale too!


Creamy Italian Cheese and Herb Chicken


3 boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 large onion, sliced
3 cloves of garlic, crushed.
1 large red pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
1/2 large bag frozen broccoli
1 tub Philly Italian Cheese and Herb Cooking Creme
12 oz. pasta (I used bowties) cooked

While the water is coming to a boil for the pasta, saute the chicken in a bit of oil until just starting to brown, about 5 minutes.
Add onion, garlic and peppers and saute until just getting soft. throw in that broccoli and stir and cook for another minute or two.
Add the Philly cooking cream, stir, reduce heat and cooked until combined and bubbly hot, 3-4 minutes.
Add the cooked pasta, stir in, taste for salt and pepper and serve!

Quick...easy...and really quite tasty. The Bro and SIL liked it. Quite a bit I believe.
Of course, you can add any veggies you like, but I liked the mix of green and red. With a nice side salad, a bit of warm Italian bread, maybe a glass of wine, not a bad dinner for 20 minutes work.
When I drained the pasta, I kept a bit of the pasta water to thin out the sauce if it was too thick, but I thought it was just right. I also used a greater ratio of meat and veggies to sauce than the basic recipe on the container and thought I might need part of a second tub, but no, it was enough
Not to mention, if you go to the Philly website, they have a lot more recipes, some more ambitious than this one.



This is my contribution this to this week's Weekend Cooking.
"Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend."
Be sure to check out the other entries this week. As always, hosted by Beth Fish Reads.


19 comments:

  1. I admit to being curious about the Philly products. Sounds like it was quick and easy. And very pretty with the green and red.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I'll admit, I've never heard of this before! But then I don't really watch tv. Did it taste a lot different than adding cream cheese or goat cheese plus spices to a dish?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't eat chicken myself but I LOVE Philadelphia products. I haven't seen this variety in the Netherlands yet, however I just love the spread with tomatoes and pesto. It is my favorite so far :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So this time "new" really is good. I would like to try using this in a pasta primavera type sauce...will have to look for it in my area.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm... interesting. I think I had a coupon for that stuff and ended up throwing it out. For some reason, I was a little leary about trying it but since you say it was good, I might re think that plus I need some more recipes that use peppers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would not have purchased that if I saw it but now it sounds like it's worth a try. That recipe looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really can't imagine the Phila. cream cheese people coming out with a non-wonderful product!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm funny with cream cheese. I like it once in a while in some desserts, but mostly I'm a little queasy about it. Weird. I know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did not find it particularly cream cheesy...so much as creamy...and cheesy...if that makes sense. yes, you could achieve the same result by adding your own herbs and cream cheese and such..but this was so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've seen the commercials too and have been wanting to try this new product. I'm glad to hear of your experience. Now I'll try it with confidence.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've not heard of this product but it sounds great. I'll definitely keep an eye out for it and a coupon is always nice so I'll look for that also:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Philadelphia is nice, even though I don't know this particular product. I'd try this if I ate meat.
    Where did you get the super cool weekend cooking button?????

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rikki, the Niece made the WC button...please, anyone can feel free to use it if they like!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think we have this in the shops here now but I am not 100% sure! Will have to have a look next time I go to the shops.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, I will use it from the next post on. I really like it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We have Philadelphia here in the UK, but I don't think we have this particular one, will check when I next do the groceries!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have tried these cooking sauces and love them. They work well in the crockpot too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well, I would say something, but I am pretty biased. I love EVERYTHING made with Philadelphia. It is just too good! Have you tried the Milka chocolate Phila? Divine.

    ___
    International Calls to Australia

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've tried all the NEW philly cheese sauces and love them. They are a great way to make a good dish out of scraps of meat and veggies and pasta or rice leftovers. The recipes on the container and on the website are also terrific.

    ReplyDelete

please speak up, I LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU!!