Saturday, July 21, 2012

Weekend Cooking...Jalapeño Corn Cakes with Shrimp and Avocado Salsa



I think that I first saw this dish in a review for a cookbook from last year, “Sara Foster’s Southern Kitchen”. To tell you the truth, I am not sure where I saw it recently. Of course, I didn't write it down..all I remembered were corn cakes and avocado..so to Google I went, and found several different takes on it.
Some milder, some spicier, but all basically very similar.

And then I added a little something extra. "Wouldn't some shrimp be nice?" I thought and I answered myself, "Yes, they would! Shrimp are always nice."
So, some shrimp it was.

Oh, the produce it so lovely this time of year. Fresh Jersey corn is in and lovely Jersey tomatoes and local peppers, oh my. I trip to the produce market is full of colorful gems and this recipe takes advantage of a number of them. It is perfect, with very small corn cakes as an appetizer, as a summer lunch, or as a fresh and summery side dish, maybe with some grilled fish or chicken.

Jalapeño Corn Cakes with Shrimp and Avocado Salsa
adapted from A Spicy Perspective

For the Jalapeno Corn Cakes:

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow corn meal
2 Tbs. sugar
1/2 Tbs. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
Pepper to taste
2 cups corn, fresh or frozen
1/2 jalapeño, finely diced
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 buttermilk
3 Tb. melted butter

Combine all dry ingredients for the corn cakes, in a large bowl.
Whisk well, then add everything else, butter last, stirring continuously until smooth. Heat a skillet to medium-high.
Brush the skillet with oil or butter. Using a tablespoon scoop for small cakes or a larger scoop for bigger cakes, pour corn cake mixture in the skillet, cooking 1-2 minutes per side. Work in small batches.
If batter gets too thick as it sits, stir in a little more milk.

For the Shrimp with Avocado Salsa:


1 lb. shrimp, steamed and cut in bite sized pieces
2 large ripe avocados, chopped
1/2 small red pepper, diced
1/4 cup chopped green onions
2 tomatoes, diced
2 clove garlic, finely minced
3 Tbs. cilantro,chopped
1/2 jalapeño, diced
1 lime, juiced
1 1/2 white wine vinegar
2 Tb. olive oil
Salt and Pepper to taste

Up to a day or two ahead, mix all the ingredients for the salsa except the shrimp and avocado. While the corn cakes are cooking, add the shrimp and avocado to the salsa.
Serve the corn cakes with a scoop of salsa on top, or pile them on a platter with the salsa on the side.




This is my contribution this to this week's Weekend Cooking.
"Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend."
Be sure to check out the other entries this week. As always, hosted by Beth Fish Reads.


23 comments:

  1. Yum, yum, yum. I agree, the shrimp is definitely a good addition. I love the colors of the salsa and I bet it's perfect over the those spicy corn cakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it really is quite yummy. and summery fresh.

      Delete
  2. I love corn cakes! That looks delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea to add the shrimp. Looks delicious with the salsa. I would love those corn cakes, especially with the jalapeno.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, does that look good! My mouth is watering just looking at the photos. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not showing this to Carl - he'd drool on my computer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You must have read my mind: I've been staring at my pot of jalapeno slices in dismay, but now I know what to use them for! These corn cakes sound and look divine. I wonder... will the lovely salsa be just as yummy if I replaced the shrimp with black beans? Worth trying! *bookmarks*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think totally..or just leave the shrimp out like the original.

      Delete
  7. You seem like just the best cook ever! Wish I lived closer! heh

    ReplyDelete
  8. This hits the spot for me. Great combo. I have linked in Coronation Chicken - a dish with a dash of history.

    Have a super week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this sounds and looks fantastic. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely dish, vibrant with color and flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a terrific combination of flavors for this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those cakes sound delicious. What a lovely combination of flavours.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It always amuses me to see prawns called shrimp! Shrimp for us are very small, not big and juicy looking like that!

    This meal does like fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww....to we Americans, they are all shrimp, all sizes.

      Delete
  14. Oh yum, that looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OH. MY. GOSH. That looks delicious! I wouldn't have thought of adding shrimp - and it actually sounds like the perfect addition. And now my mouth is watering.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow this looks fantastic, I can't wait to try these crab cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Corn cakes, shrimp and avocado...that sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  18. hm... I think I am going to have to try this recipe. I am not a huge shrimp eater, but I will occasionally. The guy likes it, though, and it is more inspired than him buying it and dipping it in seafood sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This dish looks absolutely fantastic! I'm definitely going to have to try making it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Caite, I haven't had corn cakes in so many years! These sound wonderful except I won't eat shrimp so I'll leave the salsa off. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

please speak up, I LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU!!