Saturday, March 23, 2013

Weekend Cooking..Beets in Two Parts.




Last week, we had that recipe for corned beef...so now I had left over corned beef! 

After the last St. Patrick's Day, I believe I made corned beef hash with the leftovers, which is great, but how could I change it up a bit this time.
Happily, just in time, I saw this recipe, "Hash, Re-Hash", in the Wall Street Journal. For a variation, lets make some Red Flannel Hash.

The author,  Sarah Karnasiewicz, explains the appeal better than I ever could...
"The rugged beets that lend the dish its color and its colorful name; the soft scraps of carrot and parsnip; the waxy potatoes, their freckled skin still clinging; the ruddy corned beef: Apart, they're anything but sexy.
But dice and season and scatter them in a searingly hot pan. Watch their edges crisp and blush as the beets bleed. Slide it all onto a plate and crown the lot with a fried egg, as bright and cheerful as a buttercup.
You'll fall, and hard."
 Red Flannel Hash 

19 comments:

  1. We love beets! And yes, don't be tossing those beet greens in the compost heap. They're yummy too. We can't seem to get enough greens -- I'd be happy to make them every night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll pass on the beets but do enjoy hash without them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a big beet fan either but I love hash and fried eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my....thanks for the reminder about the beets. Both Mr. Tutu and I are beeet fans and I had planned to make CB hash for easy dinner tonite. I was wondering about a green, and now you've solved my dilemma. I'll skip the parsnips, only because I don't want to make a trip downtown to the market. I have everything else on hand. Yumm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband loves beets, being the good Polish boy that he is, but no beets for me, no thank you. This is considered a fatal flaw when we visit the in-laws.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am surprised he is still married to you..lol

      Delete
  6. both dishes look good. I did try to buy a corned beef brisket on Thursday, but there were none left in the store. Didn't realize that it was so popular.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely - we call them beetroot down our way. Hope you are having a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That hash is making my mouth water - it looks so delicious! Mmmm... I can almost taste it! I didn't get any corned beef this year, as I was out of the house almost every night for the past two weeks. I'm regretting it now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I make hash quite often, but I've never made the red flannel version. Aren't beet greens good? I made them for the first time last summer and adored them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have to agree on those beet greens..and they look so pretty too!

      Delete
  10. The color in red flannel has is from beets? Thanks for helping me learn something new today. I'm not a fan of beets at all, but the greens recipe looks great - cannellini beans for me, please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, the beets give off their lovely red color...

      Delete
  11. I like hash but beets- not so much. It does look so pretty, though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We love beets at our house but usually have them roasted as side dish. Both recipes sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have always loved the name Red Flannel Hash and wanted to eat it! I am going to get a corned beef just to make this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello there, I found your website via Google while looking for a related topic, your web site came up, it looks great.
    I've bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.

    Take a look at my web-site: fuckbook

    ReplyDelete

please speak up, I LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU!!